Maryland Identification Cards

Eligible residents of Maryland can apply for a non-driver identification (ID) card, which serves as proof of photo identification for children and adults who do not hold active driver’s licenses. Your ID card is either compliant or non-compliant, depending on valid citizenship documentation. While you cannot use an ID card as proof of eligibility to operate a motor vehicle, you can use these credentials as proof of age, address, and identity. 

  • ​Reside in the state of Maryland (must present proof of state residency)
  • Must NOT hold a valid driver’s license or moped permit
  • Provide proof of age and identity (see below for more information on documents)
  • Pay applicable fees
    (There is no fee for an ID card if you are 65 years of age or older, or if you have a disability which limits a major life activity.)

You must surrender your Maryland ID card if you are issued a driver's license. You must also surrender any out-of-state card (ID card or driver's license) before a Maryland ID can be issued.

You may wish to receive an ID card instead of a temporary driver's license if you have been stopped by a police officer who suspected you of driving impaired. Please click he​re for more information.​


What documents do I need to bring?


Use the myMVA Online Document Guide to easily figure out which identity, residency, and citizenship documents you need to bring with you.

Immigrants who present foreign documentation without valid accompanying United States Citizenship and Immigration Services documentation, to obtain a driver's license (DL) or identification card (ID), please click here to get started.​

I’ve changed my name. What do I need to do?


If you have a different name on your social security card than your source documents, you must change your name with the Social Security Administration (SSA) prior to coming to the MDOT MVA.

  • The new name(s) must match the name(s) that the SSA has on record.
  • The ID card will not be issued if the new name change does not match the SSA records.
  • It may take a minimum of 48 hours or longer for the SSA to update their records with your name change.​

For information on how to apply for a social security number, please visit the Social Security Administration's website.

If your name is different from the name on your birth certificate, then you are required to provide the MDOT MVA with a certified copy, from the issuing agency, of the document(s) that changed your name (i.e. marriage certificate, divorce decree, court ordered name change, etc.​

When will I receive my ID card?

Your Maryland non-driver ID card will be mailed to your address on file and not issued at the time of your transaction.  You can have your ID shipped overnight for an additional cost of the U.S. Postal Service's express shipping rates.​

How long will my ID card be good for?


ID cards for individuals 18 years of age and older will be valid for a period of 8 years and ID cards for those under the age of 18 will be valid for 5 years.

However, individuals with a limited term ID will receive a card with a time period that equals the duration of their lawful status in the United States. They will not be able to renew by mail, MDOT MVA Kiosk, or online.​

My ID card is expiring - how do I renew my ID card?


Customers who are eligible can renew their Maryland ID card quickly and easily online with myMVA Online Services or by using an MDOT MVA Kiosk at a branch.

Due to federal requirements, customers will be notified upon renewal if they need to provide MDOT MVA with documents. If you have already been notified, click here to create your checklist and schedule an appointment.

How do I order a duplicate ID card?


You may request a duplicate identification card online by clicking here.

To report a stolen ID/driver's license due to identity theft or identity fraud please complete a complaint form at .​

I am a veteran, how can I add a Veteran Designation to my ID card?

​You may be able to add a designation on your ID card, indicating that you are veteran of the United States. There is no fee for the designation, please click here for more information.

How do I change information on my ID card?


To start the process for a Corrected Identification Card, please refer to the Online Document Guide for required identity and residency documentation.

  • If you are changing your name, you must bring the document(s) that initiated the change of name, such as a certified copy from the issuing agency, of the marriage certificate, divorce decree or court name change order.
  • You can request an address change online through myMVA by clicking here.
  • You will need to pay applicable fees to complete the changes and order a new ID card.

Driver's LicenseLearner's PermitIdentification CardSources of ProofRenewing Your Driver's License Information​​​​​​​