- Workshop for Traffic Safety and Highway Design Engineers: Older Driver Safety on Maryland Roadways
- Tuesday, April 7, 2015, 8:00 am – 12:00 pm (Lunch included directly after – Hanover location only)
- Main Location: SHA Office of Traffic & Safety (OOTS) 7491 Connelly Drive, OOTS Training Room, Hanover MD
Participants are strongly encouraged to attend the Workshop at the Hanover location (above) to benefit from being in person with the presenters; however, it’s possible to participate via videoconference at the seven SHA District offices. The list of other possible locations is below – choose one location when registering.
Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) is hosting this workshop on older driver safety in collaboration with the Maryland State Highway Administration (SHA) and Federal Highway Administration. Registration and professional development hours are FREE. Seating is limited and Engineers must RSVP by 3/31/2015. Register NOW.
Traffic Safety and Highway Design Engineers play an important role in mitigating risk for aging drivers on the road. The issue is not about being older, but the age-related conditions that affect driving skills. While crash rates for older drivers are not up, preparations are necessary to handle the growth in older drivers to avoid a sudden increase in crash rates and address this new challenge for safety on the roadways. This workshop will focus on the important aspects of FHWA’s Handbook for Designing Roadways for the Aging Population 2014, with opportunities to discuss applications in Maryland. The workshop also introduces the general physical and cognitive issues with aging that impact safe driving, identifying medically at-risk drivers, MVA’s medical review process, and National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s older driver safety guidelines to the States.
Traffic Safety & Highway Design Engineers: This course is planned and implemented with Federal Highway Administration. Registered professional engineers can receive Professional Development Hours at the completion of the workshop.
All attendees will receive a Certificate of Completion for the training workshop.
SHA District Offices / other possible locations to attend:
- 660 West Road, Salisbury, MD
- 615 Morgnec Road, Chestertown, MD
- 9300 Kenilworth Avenue, Greenbelt, MD
- 320 West Warren Road, Hunt Valley MD
- 138 Defense Highway, Annapolis, MD
- 1251 Vocke Road, LaVale, MD
- 5111 Buckeystown Pike, Frederick, MD
- 707 North Calvert St, Baltimore, MD
Copyright 2013 Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration
Back to Safety Home