Titling – Out-of-State Vehicle Moved to MD by Owner

How do I title a vehicle that I already own and am moving from another state into Maryland?

As a new resident of Maryland, you must title your vehicle within 60 days of moving to Maryland. If you delay beyond 60 days, you will not be eligible for a tax credit for any titling tax paid in another state, and you may be subject to a citation for an out of state registration.

You can apply for a Maryland title, and registration, in person at any of the MVA's full service branch offices. You also can mail the documents to the MVA's out-of-state title unit in the Glen Burnie office, or go to an MVA licensed tag and title service where they will assist you in applying.

Typically, you will need to submit the following forms to obtain a title for your vehicle:

  • Proof of ownership – This is the vehicle’s existing title that identifies you as the owner. If the vehicle is from a state that does not issue a title as proof of ownership ONLY, the vehicle's registration document and bill of sale may be submitted as proof of ownership. If a lien holder (e.g., finance company, bank, etc.) has your title, the MVA Customer Service Center can assist you by providing a letter for you to send to the lien holder requesting that the title be sent to the MVA.
  • Application form – The Application for Certificate of Title can be used to apply for both the vehicle’s title and registration. Be sure to include your insurance information. Your policy must conform to Maryland’s minimum liability insurance requirements.
  • Maryland Safety Inspection Certificate – This Maryland State Police form certifies that your vehicle meets Maryland safety standards. It is valid for up to 90 days from the date issued.

Under certain circumstances, additional information and/or forms may be required:

  • Proof of vehicle’s value – If the vehicle’s value cannot be identified by the MVA, you may need to submit a bill of sale. For leased vehicles, a lease agreement may also be acceptable.
  • Lease agreement and proof of monthly lease payments (leased vehicles only) – If you have paid or are paying excise tax to another state through your lease payments, the documents may be needed to determine the amount of excise tax credit you may receive.
  • Lien information – If you borrowed money to buy the vehicle, lien information may need to be recorded on the application. The MVA form entitled Security Interest Filing must be used if a second lien is placed against the title.
  • Lien release – If your title indicates that a lien exists, the MVA will file the lien against your new title (i.e., transfer the lien).
  • Power of attorney – Must be submitted when you ask a representative to sign titling forms on your behalf. A copy of the registered owner(s) state issued identification must accompany the Power of Attorney and the person submitting must present their state issued identification.​ ​With a leased vehicle, the lessee is often given power of attorney to title the vehicle on behalf of the leasing company. The lessee also has the right to declare the vehicle's mileage on the Application for Certificate of Title. The Power of Attorney form can be found here​.
  • Proof of military status (i.e. military ID or equivalent) - Must be submitted to be eligible for an excise tax credit:
    • ​​​​​​If ​the owner is a member of the military on active duty or a member of their immediate family and has not been a Maryland resident for more than one year, an excise tax credit is allowed with proof of active military status.
    • If the owner is a Maryland resident on active duty or a member of their immediate family returning to this state, an excise tax credit is allowed if the vehicle is titled within one year of their return, with proof of active military status.
    •  Click here​ for more information for service members and veterans. 


  1. That if you also intend to register the vehicle, additional forms are usually needed. Registration requirements vary greatly by the type and intended use of the vehicle. The requirements for most vehicles can be found in Registration – Common Vehicles. Your title will be mailed to you regardless of how you apply. If you also register the vehicle, your registration card, license plates and expiration stickers can be provided immediately when you apply in person to the MVA; otherwise, these items also will be mailed to you.
  2. The Real ID Act requires that all Personal Identifying Information (PII) must be placed on the actual Driver License, Identification Card or Permit. Therefore any name changes must be done through the Driver License System (DLS) prior to document changes. If you do not have the documents needed to complete the change of name through the DLS, the title transaction may be completed using your current name as it appears on your State issued identification. Maryland Vehicle Law requires the customer to apply for a corrected title within 30 days of a name change by completing the Application for ​Corrected Title Due to a Name Change form (VR-448). The fee is $50.00 for a corrected title

Note: On July 1, 2015 all businesses wishing to title a vehicle will be required to show proof of the legal existence of the business. The business will be given a number with a "Z" to identify it.


Contact Information:

Mailing Address:

MVA Out-of-State Title Unit
6601 Ritchie Highway, NE
Glen Burnie, MD 21062

For telephone questions:
MVA Customer Service Center:    1-410-768-7000
TTY/Hearing Impaired:                   1-301-729-4563