Titling – Used Vehicle Purchased from a Non-Dealer

You can apply for a title and registration in person at any of the MVA's full service branch offices. You also can mail the documents to the MVA's Mail In Title Unit in the Glen Burnie office, or go to an MVA licensed tag and title service where they will assist you in applying for a used vehicle purchased from a non-dealer.

Typically, the title application documents needed (along with payment for taxes and fees) include:

  • Proof of ownership – This is the vehicle's current title that has been properly assigned to you, the owner. If the vehicle is from a state that does not issue a title as proof of ownership ONLY, the vehicle's registration document and bill of sale may be submitted as proof of ownership. Note that if the title was issued in Maryland, it can be used as your application form for titling and registering the vehicle.
  • Application form – If the vehicle’s current title was issued in Maryland, use it as your application form by completing the section entitled Application for Title and Registration. If not, use the Application for Certificate of Title. Be sure to include your insurance information if you are registering the vehicle at the time of titling. Your policy must conform to Maryland’s minimum liability insurance requirements.
  • Proof of purchase price – This should be a bill of sale signed by both the buyer(s) and seller(s). The bill of sale must be notarized and recorded on the MVA's Bill of Sale form if the following conditions apply:
    • the vehicle is less than 7 years old; and
    • the purchase price is at least $500 below the book value; and
    • the new owner (buyer) wants to base the excise tax calculation (6% of the vehicle’s value) on the sale price rather than the book value.
  • Odometer disclosure statement – If the vehicle has a Maryland title, the odometer reading can be recorded and attested to in the section entitled Assignment of Ownership. You also can submit the MVA’s Odometer Disclosure Stateme​nt.
  • Maryland Safety Inspection Certificate – The Maryland State Police form certifies that your vehicle meets Maryland safety standards. It is valid for up to 90 days from the date issued.​
​Under certain circumstances, additional information may be required:
  • Lien information – If you borrowed money to buy the vehicle, you may need to record the lien information on the application. The MVA Security Interest Filing Statement (VR-217) must be used if a second lien is placed against the title.
  • Lien release – If the existing title indicates that a lien was placed against it, you must submit a lien release. The lien release can be a properly completed and signed Maryland Security Interest ​Filing or a lien release letter on the lien holder's letterhead. The lien release letter must include:
    • The s​ecured party's name imprinted on it (if the lien holder is a business entity).
    • Contact telephone number of the secured party.
    • The name of the debtor (customer).
    • A description of the vehicle to include the year, make, model and vehicle identification number.
    • The date and amount of the original lien
    • The financial account number of the lien and the date lien was released.
    • The printed name, signature, and capacity of the secured party's representative.
​​​​​​​​​​​Note: If the lien holder is not a financial institution, the lien release letter must be notarized. If a lien release letter on the lien holder's letterhead is submitted, a photocopy must be made of the driver's license or state issued ID of the person submitting the letter.
  • ​Power of attorney  (VR-470​)-– If someone other than you, the new owner, is signing the titling forms, this document is required.  A copy of the registered owner(s) state issued identification must accompany the Power of Attorney and the person submitting must present their state issued identification.​ ​
  1. ​​That if you also intend to register the vehicle (most cases) additional forms may be needed. Registration requirements vary greatly by the type and intended use of the vehicle. The requirements for most vehicles can be found in Registration – Common Vehicles. Your title will be mailed to you regardless of how you apply for it. If you also register the vehicle, your registration card, license plates and expiration stickers can be provided immediately when you apply in person to the MVA; otherwise, these items also will be mailed to you.
  2. The Real ID Act requires that all Personal Identifying Information (PII) must be placed on the actual Driver License, Identification Card or Permit. Therefore any name changes must be done through the Driver License System (DLS) prior to document changes.
  3. If you do not have the documents needed to complete the change of name through the DLS, the title transaction may be completed using your current name as it appears on your State issued identification. Maryland Vehicle Law requires the customer to apply for a corrected title within 30 days of a name change by completing the Application for Corrected Title Due to a Name Change form (VR-448).
N​ote: On July 1, 2015 all businesses wishing to title a vehicle will be required to show proof of the legal existence of the business. The business will be given a number with a "Z" to identify it.

Contact Information:
Mailing Address:

MVA Mail In Title Unit
6601 Ritchie Highway, NE
Glen Burnie, MD 21062

For telephone questions:
MVA Customer Service Center:   1-410-768-7000
TTY/Hearing Impaired:                    ​1-301-729-4563