Off Road Vehicle (ORV) - Moped, Motor Scooters, ATVs, Snowmobiles and Off Road Motorcycles


Click here for information regarding ATVs, Off-Road Motorcycles and Snowmobiles.

Titling and Decal Issuance

Effective October 1, 2012, mopeds and motor scooters are required to be titled and display a decal in Maryland. In addition, operators of the vehicles are required to possess a valid license or moped permit, carry proof of insurance, and wear a protective head and eye device. The electronic submission of title applications for mopeds and motor scooters can be processed at a tag and title service, dealer, or through the myMVA eServices. Click here for a list of tag and title services that may process these transactions for you.

As the vehicle owner, you will be required to submit:

  1. Certificate of Origin
  2. Maryland Title
  3. An Out of State Title or
  4. Bill of Sale and/or registration from a non-title state.  (Complete an Affidavit of Ownership - Moped, Motor Scooter & Off Road Vehicle, form VR-450.
  5. No ownership documents (see note below)

Note:  If you owned a motor scooter or moped prior to October 1, 2012, and “do not have” a certificate of origin or title, you may sign onto the MVA website, complete an electronic affidavit, and receive a title and decal in the mail.  You may also go through a tag and title service or dealership to process the transaction.  When the web process is utilized and/or theAffidavit of Ownership - Moped, Motor Scooter & Off Road Vehicle, form VR-450 is used, there will be no need to use a separate application for the title or application for a decal.

The Web process cannot be utilized if the following conditions exist:

  • The vehicle is subject to a lien
  • There is a transfer of ownership
  • The vehicle owner does not have a Maryland drivers license number or
  • The vehicle does not have a vehicle identification number (VIN)

Transactions with liens, no Maryland driver license number, or transfers of ownership may be processed by tag and title services or dealers.  VIN Assignments and other special or unusual transactions may only be processed at MVA full service branch offices.

There will be no title fee or excise tax charged if you owned the moped or motor scooter prior to October 1, 2012, as long as you title it before October 1, 2013.  All mopeds and motor scooters must display a decal and be titled if driven on the roads on or after October 1, 2012.

The title fee for motor scooters and mopeds purchased on or after October 1, 2012 is $20.00 and the excise tax is based on the purchase price of the vehicle.  The minimum excise tax is based on $320.00 ($19.20 excise tax).  The excise tax is exempt if you have paid Maryland sales or use tax at the time of purchase and have proof of the payment.  Otherwise, 6% excise tax applies.

You must certify at the time of titling the vehicle is covered by insurance as described in Maryland Vehicle Law and the owner/operator must carry proof of insurance while operating the vehicle.

The permanent decal fee is $5.00 and the decal may not be transferred to another owner.  Each time ownership transfers, a new title decal will be issued.  The title decal must be displayed on the rear of the vehicle in a visible position.

An individual may not operate or ride on a moped or motor scooter unless they wear protective headgear that meets the standards under 49CFR§571.218.  In addition, an eye protective device, approved by the Administration, is required unless the vehicle is equipped with a windscreen.


·   “Moped” means a bicycle that:

  1. Is designed to be operated by human power with the assistance of a motor;
  2. Is equipped with pedals that mechanically drive the rear wheel or wheels;
  3. Has two or three wheels, of which one is more than 14 inches in diameter; and
  4. Has a motor rating of 1.5 brake horsepower or less and, if the motor is an internal combustion engine, a capacity of 50 cubic centimeters piston displacement or less.

·    “Motor Scooter” means a non-pedal vehicle that: 

  1. Has a seat for the operator;
  2. Has 2 wheels, of which one is 10 inches or more in diameter;
  3. Has a step through chassis;
  4. Has a motor: (i) With a rating of 2.7 brake horsepower or less; or (ii) If the motor is an internal combustion engine, with a capacity of 50 cubic centimeters piston displacement or less; and
  5. Is equipped with an automatic transmission.  “Motor Scooter” does not include a vehicle that has been manufactured for off road use, including a motorcycle and all terrain vehicles.

Note:  For special or unusual circumstances, the work can be processed at any full service MVA office. 

Note: On July 1, 2015 all businesses wishing to title a vehicle will be required to show proof of the legal existence of the business.  The business will be given a number with a "Z" to identify it.

Motor scooters that are built for road use and have greater horsepower and cc's may be titled and registered as a motorcycle.  Note:  A person may not operate a motorcycle that has a rating of 1.5 brake horsepower or less, or a capacity of less than 70 cubic centimeters piston displacement, on a roadway where the posted maximum speed is more than 50 miles per hour, or on an expressway or other controlled access highway.

Situations may vary when purchasing a Motor Scooter or Moped. If you do not meet the above criteria or require assistance, please contact us​. You will receive a response back within 3 business days.

Driver License/Moped Permit Required

A Class M motorcycle license is not required to operate a motor scooter or moped.  However, each individual operating a moped or a motor scooter on any roadway in Maryland must have a valid driver's license of some class issued in this state or from the individuals' state or country of residency. A valid moped operator’s permit issued to the individual is also acceptable. An individual may not obtain a moped operators permit if they possess a valid Maryland driver's license or a valid driver's license issued by any other jurisdiction.

The MVA will not issue a moped operator's permit to any individual whose driver's license or privilege to drive is suspended or revoked, refused or cancelled.

The minimum age to apply for and obtain a moped operators permit is 16 years of age.  The applicant must pass a vision screening and knowledge test to obtain the moped operators permit.  This knowledge test is the same test that is required to obtain a class C learner's permit.  Applicants less than 18 years of age must be accompanied by their parent/guardian.  Please see Obtaining a Moped Permit for additional information.

Prior to the sale of the vehicle, any dealer, agent or employee of a dealer, salesman, or other person who sells the motor scooter or moped must inform the buyer of the operation restrictions.

Lawful Operation of a Motor Scooter/Moped

Traffic laws that apply to individuals riding a bicycle also apply to people operating a motor scooter or moped.

When operating a motor scooter or moped, the rider must ride as near to the right side of the roadway as practical and safe except when:

  1. Making a left turn.
  2. Operating on a one-way street.
  3. Passing a stopped or slower moving vehicle.
  4. Avoiding pedestrians or road hazards.
  5. The right lane is a right turn only lane.
  6. Operating in a lane that is too narrow for a bicycle, motor scooter, or moped and another vehicle to travel safely side by side.

Operators and passengers of motor scooters and mopeds are required to wear a DOT compliant motorcycle helmet.  In addition, if the vehicle is not equipped with a windscreen the operator and passenger must wear a protective eye device.  They may ride side by side only if the flow of traffic is unimpeded and must exercise due care when passing a vehicle.  The use of headsets covering both ears and earplugs are prohibited except in certain circumstances.

A person may not ride a bicycle, motor scooter or moped on a roadway where the posted maximum speed limit is more than 50 miles per hour.  If the roadway has a bike lane paved to a smooth surface or a paved shoulder, a person operating a bicycle or a motor scooter must use the bike lane or shoulder and may not ride on the roadway except for a situation identified above as (1 through 6).

A motor scooter or moped may not be operated at a speed in excess of 30 miles per hour.

Operators of motor scooters and mopeds should check their local jurisdictions for any laws that may affect the operation of a motor scooter or moped.

Motor Scooter/Moped Safety Tips

  • Wear bright or reflective clothing.
  • It is required by law that the operator and passenger wear a DOT certified helmet.
  • If the vehicle is not equipped with a windscreen the operator and passenger must wear a protective eye device.
  • Don't ride in another motorist's blind spot.
  • Obey the speed limits and never travel faster than your skill level or than conditions allow.


Titling and Decal Issuance

ATV’s, Off –Road Motorcycles, and Snowmobiles purchased October 1, 2010 or later are required to be titled.  A nontransferable ORV decal will also be issued at the time of titling.  The decal issued by the Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) will not be recognized by the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) for use on authorized DNR trails.

Effective October 1, 2010, if you purchased your ORV from a dealership, the dealer will have the title transaction processed and issue the ORV decal.  If the dealer is unable to process the transaction or the ORV was purchased through a private sale, you need to take your documents to a licensed Maryland title service to be electronically processed.  Click here for a listing of tag and title services that may process these transactions for you.

For special or unusual circumstances, the work can be processed at any full service MVA office.  If an owner of an ORV has purchased the vehicle prior to October 1, 2010, they have the option to title the vehicle.

To title your newly purchased new or used Off-highway Recreational Vehicle, you will need to submit the following documents (along with payment for taxes and other required fees):

Proof of Ownership.  You will need to submit the original Certificate of Origin for your new ORV or the ORV's current title if the vehicle is used.  The ownership document must be properly assigned to you.  If you purchased your ORV from a private owner and the ORV was never titled, you need the seller's original Certificate of Origin and a bill of sale. An Affidavit of Ownership Moped, Motor Scooter & Off-Road Vehicle (VR-450) may be used in the event that no other type of ownership document can be obtained.  

Applications.  The Application for Certificate of Title form (VR-005) and the Application for Title Decal for Motor Scooters, Mopeds, ATV’s, Off-Road Motorcycles and Snowmobiles form (VR-337) must be completed.  The fee for a Maryland title is $100.00 and there is a $5.00 fee for the Title Decal. The excise tax fee will be determined as stated below.

Note:  When the affidavit of ownership is used, there will be no need to use a separate application for title or application for a decal.

Proof of Purchase Price.  Maryland dealers may certify the purchase price on the application for Maryland title.  If the vehicle was purchased from an out of state dealer, the original bill of sale, the carbon copy of the bill of sale or a notarized copy of the original bill of sale is required.  For a vehicle purchased from a private sale, you will need a bill of sale signed by all seller(s) and buyer(s) if the title document does not have a place for the seller to certify the sale price.  The bill of sale must state the sellers name, the buyers name and the year, make and vehicle identification number and the purchase price of the vehicle.  A notarized bill of sale signed by all sellers and buyers is required if any of the following conditions apply:

  1. The vehicle is less than 7 years old; and
  2. The purchase price is at least $500.00 below the book value: and
  3. The new owner (buyer) wants to base the excise tax calculation (6% of the vehicle's value) on the purchase price rather than the book value.
  • For vehicle's more than 7 years old, the taxes will be 6% of the purchase price or a minimum value of $320.00 ($19.20), whichever is greater.

Maryland Excise Titling Tax.  An Off-highway Recreational Vehicle purchased from a licensed dealer, is assessed excise tax based on the agreed upon price of the vehicle, by the buyer and the seller including any dealer processing charge, with an allowance for trade-in.  Manufacturer rebates are taxable; however dealer rebates and discounts are not.  A vehicle purchased from a private owner is assessed 6% of the purchase price verified by a notarized MVA Bill of Sale (form VR-181), signed by both the buyer(s) and the seller(s) in which the actual price paid for the vehicle is stated.  In other cases, 6% is charged on the greater of the total purchase price or the valuation shown in a national publication of used motorcycle/snowmobile/ATV/personal watercraft values adopted for use by the Administration will be used to establish the tax.

Note:   Excise tax will not be charged if Maryland sales and use tax was charged at the time the Off-highway Recreational Vehicle was purchased and proof of tax payment is submitted.  The MVA may require you to submit additional documentation to substantiate the purchase price.

Odometer Disclosure Statement.  The mileage must be recorded on the ownership document at the time of purchase if the ORV is equipped with an odometer.

Note:  Under certain circumstances, additional information and/or forms may be required:

Lien Information.  If you borrowed money to buy the ORV, the lien information may need to be recorded on the Maryland title application (form VR-005).  The MVA form titled Security Interest Filing (V​R-217) must be used if a second lien is to be placed against the title.

Lien Release.  The existing title must show the lien was released (if applicable).  Most out of state titles have a place on them for the release of the lien, while a few states have a separate lien release document that is issued upon release of the lien.  In addition, you may have received a lien release letter on the company's letterhead, which may be submitted.

Power of Attorney (VR-470​)-– If someone other than you, the new owner, is signing the titling forms, this document is required.  A copy of the registered owner(s) state issued identification must accompany the Power of Attorney and the person submitting must present their state issued identification.​ ​

Situations may vary when purchasing an Off-highway Recreational Vehicle.  If you do not meet the above criteria or require assistance, please contact us.  You will receive a response back within 3 business days.

Contact Information:

Click here for a listing of tag and title services that may process these transactions for you.

For telephone questions:
MVA Customer Service Center:    1-410-768-7000
Out of State:                                        1-301-729-4550
TTY/Hearing Impaired:                    1-800-492-4575

​[ infoMVA Home   |   Titling A Vehicle ]​