Registration - Substitute License Plates and/or Stickers

Substitute license plates and/or stickers may be requested when:

  • Your vehicle’s original license plates and/or stickers are lost, stolen or damaged and you want to replace them with license plates of the same type or format;
  • You want standard license plates to replace your Chesapeake Bay, Agriculture, personalized message (vanity), or organizational license plates.

​You can apply for the substitute license plates and/or stickers h​ere. 

Or you may go to any of the MVA’s full service branch offices. 

You can also mail your documents to the MVA’s Mail In Registration Unit in the Glen Burnie office, or go to an MVA licensed tag and title serviceLicensed tag and title services will charge a fee for this service. 

Typically, you will need to submit the following items to receive the substitute license plates:

  • Application for Substitute Plates/Stickers – if you are exchanging your specialty license plates (e.g., Bay, Agricultural, personalized message (vanity) or organizational plates) for new standard license plates, write the words “Regular License plates” on the application form.
  • Commemorative Bay Plate/Agricu​ltural Plate Application – use this application form in place of the Application for Substitute Plates/Stickers if you are exchanging your standard license plates for new Chesapeake Bay or Agriculture license plates.
  • Current license plates and registration card - if you still possess them
  • Applicable fee
  • Proof of your identity (in-person applications ONLY)

If you are the vehicle’s owner, you may be asked to show your driver’s license or other photo identification document. If you are not the vehicle’s owner, you must submit a photocopy of the vehicle owner’s driver’s license, and a power of attorney (a note signed by the owner stating that you have permission to obtain the substitute license plates/stickers).

If you want disability license plates or any of the specialty license plates offered by the MVA, see the appropriate infoMVA description:

For personalized message (vanity), organizational, ham (amateur radio operator), combat related, and disabled veteran license plates, see Registration – Specialty License Plates.


  • There is a fee for substitute license plates.
  • There is an additional fe​e if the requested substitute plates are Chesapeake Bay or Agriculture license plates.
  • There is a fee for substitute stickers.
  • There is a fee for each additional or duplicate registration card.
  • There is no fee for replacement registration month stickers only.

Contact Information:

Mail In Registration Unit

6601 Ritchie Highway, N.E.
Glen Burnie, MD 21062

For telephone questions:
MVA Customer Service Center:    1-410-768-7000
TTY/Hearing Impaired:                   1-301-729-4563