Titling - Vehicle Previously Salvaged

I purchased a vehicle that had been salvaged.  How do I obtain a Maryland Certificate of Title to replace the salvage certificate?

First, your vehicle must receive a Maryland salvaged vehicle inspection by the Maryland State Police (MSP). You must schedule a salvaged vehicle inspection online through the MSP Salvage Scheduling System.

After the inspection has been completed, you can apply for a title and registration in person at any of the MVA’s full service branch offices. You can also mail the documents to the MVA’s Mail in Title Unit in the Glen Burnie office, or go to an MVA licensed tag and title service where they will assist you in applying.

Typically, the title application documents needed (along with payment for taxes and fees) include:

  • Proof of ownership – You must submit the vehicle’s certificate of salvage (from Maryland or another state). Your name must either appear on the document or the vehicle’s ownership must have been properly assigned to you on the back of the document. Please note that Maryland does not accept New York salvage certificates.
  • Application form – If the vehicle’s current salvage certificate was issued in Maryland, use it as your application form by completing the section entitled Application for Title and Registration. If not, use the Application for Certificate of Title. Be sure to include your insurance information if applying for registration. Your policy must conform to Maryland’s minimum liability insurance requirements.
  • Proof of Maryland salvage inspection - Your salvage certificate must include a certification on the front with the impressed seal of the Maryland State Police (MSP).  A letter on MSP letterhead, with their impressed seal, is also acceptable.
  • Maryland Safety Inspection Certificate – This is required if the vehicle is also being registered.  This Maryland State Police form certifies that your vehicle meets Maryland safety standards.  It is valid for up to 90 days from the date issued.  You may also apply for a 30-day temporary registration in order to have the inspection completed. A temporary registration will not be issued without proof of the Maryland State Police Inspection.  See Registration - Temporary Registration for more details.
  • Proof of purchase price – This should be a bill of sale signed by both the buyer(s) and seller(s). The bill of sale must be notarized and on the MVA's Bill of Sale form if the following conditions apply:
    • the vehicle is less than 7 years old; and
    • your purchase price is at least $500 below its NADA book value; and
    • you, the new owner, want to base the excise tax calculation (6% of the vehicle’s value) on the sale price rather than the book value.
  • Odometer disclosure statement – The Maryland Certificate of Salvage, auction receipt, or bill of sale may be used to declare the vehicle’s odometer reading.

Under certain circumstances, additional information and/or forms may be required:

  • Lien information – If you borrowed money to buy the vehicle, the lien information must be recorded on the application. The MVA form entitled Secu​rity Interest Filing must be used if a second lien is placed against the title.
  • Power of attorney  (VR-470​)-– If someone other than you, the new owner, is signing the titling forms, this document is required.  A copy of the registered owner(s) state issued identification must accompany the Power of Attorney and the person submitting must present their state issued identification.​ ​

Note that if you also intend to register the vehicle, additional forms may be needed.  Registration requirements vary greatly by the type and intended use of the vehicle.  The requirements for most vehicles can be found inthe Registration - Unusual Registration Processes section.  If your vehicle is unusual, access the Registration - Unusual Registration Processes section to find the applicable registration description. Note that most vehicles are required to have received both a Maryland salvaged vehicle inspection for titling, and a Maryland safety inspection for registration.

Your title will be mailed to you regardless of how you apply for it. If you also register the vehicle, your registration card, license plates and expiration stickers can be provided immediately when you apply in person to the MVA; otherwise, these items also will be mailed to you.

I purchased a salvaged vehicle in Maryland but live out-of-state.  Can I apply for a Maryland title?

Only Maryland residents can title and register vehicles in this state.  A salvaged vehicle bought in Maryland by an out-of-state owner is not eligible to receive a Maryland Certificate of Title.

My vehicle was declared salvage by an insurance company after an accident, but I have decided to keep the vehicle.  Does this affect my title?

Insurance companies must report ALL "owner retention" of those vehicles with greater than 75% damages that are repairable or  vehicles that have sustained flood damage regardless of the age of the vehicle.

Note:  You will receive a letter from the MVA advising you that your title needs to be submitted to the MVA for branding.  In order to continue to operate the vehicle, you must submit a Maryland Safety Inspection Certificate within 90 days of the date of the notice or the registration will be suspended. This means that you must take the vehicle to an authorized Maryland Inspection Station for an inspection and obtain a Certificate of Inspection to submit to the MVA. Failure to comply will result in the suspension of the vehicle’s registration.

Once the Maryland Safety Inspection Certificate is submitted, the MVA will issue a corrected title that reflects the new inspection date and the notation “Rebuilt Salvage.”  A corrected title fee is charged for titles corrected as a result of an "owner retention".  The corrected title will be mailed to you.

Note: On July 1, 2015 all businesses wishing to title a vehicle will be required to show proof of the legal existence of the business.  The business will be given a number with a "Z" to identify it.


Contact Information:

Mail In Title Unit
6601 Ritchie Highway, NE
Glen Burnie, MD 21062

For telephone questions:
MVA Customer Service Center:    1-410-768-7000
TTY/Hearing Impaired:                     1-301-729-4563