Titling – Vehicle Purchased After Lease

How do I obtain a title for my leased vehicle after I have purchased it?

In most cases, the dealer will handle the titling and registration of your previously leased vehicle through the MVA. The dealer will provide you with a bill of sale (or sales receipt) and either temporary (cardboard) or permanent (metal) license plates before you drive the vehicle off the lot. The Maryland Certificate of Title will be mailed to you later. If a lien is placed against your title, a Maryland Security Interest Filing (SIF) will be mailed to the lien holder at the same time. In many cases, the vehicle is exempt from any excise tax provided that the lessee(s) identified on the lease agreement is/are the same as the new owner(s).

If the dealer does not handle the titling and registration of your vehicle, perhaps because you purchased the vehicle from an out-of-state dealer, you will have to submit the application documents yourself. You can apply in person at any of the MVA's full service branch offices. You also can mail the documents to the MVA's mail in title unit in the Glen Burnie office, or go to an MVA licensed tag and title service where they will assist you in applying.

Typically, the title application documents needed (along with payment for taxes and fees) include:

  • Proof of ownership – You must submit the vehicle's current title (in leasing company's name and reassigned to lessee or in leasing company's name, assigned to dealership then assigned to lessee on dealer reassignment).
  • Application form – Use the vehicle’s current title as your application form by completing the section entitled Application for Title and Registration. Be sure to include your insurance information. Your policy must conform to Maryland’s minimum liability insurance requirements.
  • Bill of sale
  • Odometer disclosure statement (on back of the title)
  • Maryland Safety Inspection Certificate – A safety inspection is not required when a leased vehicle titled in Maryland is transferred to the lessee at the end of the lease. If the vehicle is not currently titled in Maryland, a safety inspection is required. This Maryland State Police form certifies that your vehicle meets Maryland safety standards. If the dealer is processing the transaction and has performed the inspection, the certificate is valid for a period of 6 months from the inspection date, or when the odometer reading advances 1,000 miles from the reading at the time of inspection, whichever comes first. If you had the inspection performed at another authorized inspection station, it is valid for 90 days from the date issued.

Under certain circumstances, additional information and/or forms may be required:

  • Lien release - can be a:
    • properly completed and signed Maryland Security Interest Filing (SIF); or
    • a signed letter on the lien holder's letterhead specifically identifying the vehicle and stating that the lien has been released; or,
    • a properly signed release from another titling state.
  • Lease agreement - If the lessee and the new owner are the same, you may need to submit this form in order to qualify for a tax exemption.
  • Lien information – If you borrowed money to buy the vehicle, the lien information should be recorded on the application. The MVA form entitled Sec​urity Interest Filing must be used if a second lien is placed against the title.
  • Power of attorney  (VR-470​) – If someone other than you, the new owner, is signing the titling forms, this document is required.  A copy of the registered owner(s) state issued identification must accompany the Power of Attorney and the person submitting​ must present their state issued identification.​ ​

Note that if you also intend to register the vehicle, additional forms may be needed. Registration requirements vary greatly by the type and intended use of the vehicle. The requirements for most vehicles can be found in Registration – Common Vehicles.

Your title will be mailed to you regardless of whether you apply through the dealer, or directly to the MVA. The dealer often will be able to provide your registration card, license tags and expiration stickers when you purchase the vehicle.

Note: On July 1, 2015 all businesses wishing to title a vehicle will be required to show proof of the legal existence of the business. The business will be given a number with a "Z" to identify it.


Contact Information:

Mail In Title Unit

6601 Ritchie Highway, NE
Glen Burnie, MD 21062

For telephone questions:
MVA Customer Service Center:    1-410-768-7000
TTY/Hearing Impaired:                     1-301-729-4563