Non-Resident Permit

Maryland law requires that most vehicles be titled and registered in this state if they will be kept here more than sixty (60) days.  A non-resident permit enables a licensed driver to maintain and operate a vehicle with out-of-state registration for more than sixty (60) days in Maryland, without titling and registering it here.

Who is eligible for a non-resident permit?

To obtain a non-resident permit, you must have an out-of-state driver's license and meet one of the following criteria:

  • Student - You are enrolled as a student in an accredited school, college, or university in Maryland, the District of Columbia, or in a bordering state, or you are serving a medical internship in Maryland.  Note: medical residents are not eligible for a non-resident permit.
  • Military - You are a member or are a dependent of a member of the armed forces of the United States or of the United State Public Health Service and are serving on active duty in Maryland, an adjoining state, or the District of Columbia.
  • Temporary Employee - You are temporarily employed in Maryland.
  • Visitor - You have a permanent dwelling in another state and are visiting Maryland as a vacationer, to receive medical treatment or for another legitimate reason.

If you do not meet any of the criteria listed above and you choose to maintain and operate your vehicle in Maryland for more than sixty (60) days, you must either apply for a Maryland title and registration, or apply for dual registration.

How can I obtain a non-resident permit?

Submit a signed Application for Non-Resident Permit, form VR-111, other required documents outlined in Appendix A, and your payment to any full service MVA branch office.  Blank applications are available by calling the MVA's Customer Service Center or by visiting any full service MVA branch office.

Non-resident permits may also be processed at the following locations, although an additional service charge may be required at the time of processing:

If your application is approved, you will receive a sticker that must be placed on your vehicle's window.  You will also receive a copy of your approved application form, which must be kept in the vehicle with your registration card.

For what period is the permit valid and can I receive another permit when it expires?

The expiration date on your permit is usually six (6) months or one (1) year from its issuance, depending upon your reason for staying in Maryland.  However, if your vehicle's registration expires earlier, the registration expiration date will be used as the expiration date of the permit.  See Appendix A for more information.

If I have more than one vehicle in Maryland, do I need a non-resident permit for each vehicle?

Yes.  You must obtain a non-resident permit for each vehicle.

Do I need a non-resident permit if my parents or someone else owns the vehicle?

Yes.  If the vehicle is not registered in Maryland, regardless of who owns it, and you are housing it in Maryland for more than sixty (60) days, you are required to have a non-resident permit.

I live in Maryland but work for a company in another state that has provided me with a company car.  Can I obtain a non-resident permit to maintain and operate the vehicle at my home?

No.  You must title and register the vehicle in Maryland, or you may apply for dual registration.

I live in Maryland and my spouse is stationed in another country with the military.  Am I eligible for a non-resident permit?

No.  If you have a Maryland driver's license, you are not eligible for a non-resident permit.


  • There is a fee for a non-resident permit. 

Contact Information:

Mailing Address:

6601 Ritchie Highway, NE
Glen Burnie, MD 21062

For telephone questions:
MVA Customer Service Center:    1-410-768-7000
TTY/Hearing Impaired:                   1-301-729-4563

Appendix A

Non-Resident Permit Requirements

  • Photocopy of valid out-of-state driver's license; and
  • Copy of your current vehicle registration card and

Customer Type Required Documents Duration


  • Copy of your current student ID card, or a school registration receipt indicating your current enrollment

  • One (1) year

  • Additional permits may be issued if you continue to be a student in Maryland or in an adjoining jurisdiction, or you continue as a medical intern in Maryland.


  • Copy of your current military ID or a written statement from a commanding officer verifying your active duty

  • One (1) year

  • Additional permits may be issued if you continue on active duty in Maryland or in an adjoining jurisdiction.

Temporary Employee

  • Letter from your employer, on company letterhead, indicating the length of your anticipated employment in Maryland

  • One (1) year

  • Additional permits are not issued


  • If visiting for medical treatment, a letter from your physician stating the approximate length of time needed for treatment

  • If visiting for other reasons, a brief letter from you giving the reason and anticipated length of stay.

  • Six (6) months

  • Additional permits are not issued unless it is for medical treatment

Note: The expiration date of the non-resident permit cannot exceed the expiration date of the vehicle's registration.  Therefore, the duration of the permit may be less than indicated above.

infoMVA Home ]​