Handling Complaints About Uninsured Motorists

What should I do if I was involved in a crash with an uninsured motorist?

You should report the crash to your local law enforcement agency and then file a complaint with the Insurance Compliance Division (ICD) of the MVA Glen Burnie Office.

How do I file the complaint?

Prepare your complaint against an uninsured motorist in writing, using the online myMVA form or theUni​nsured Motorist Complaint Form. Submit it to the Insurance Compliance Division (ICD) of the MVA in person, by mail or by fax. For quickest processing, use fill out the myMVA form online.

Do I have to be involved in a crash in order to file a complaint?

No, you are entitled to file a complaint for any reason if you have a concern about an uninsured motorist.

What will happen when I file my complaint?

The MVA will send you an acknowledgment letter indicating whether or not the MVA can take any action against the motorist.

The MVA also will send a request for proof of insurance to the vehicle owner about whom you complained. If the proof of insurance is not received by the MVA within 30 days, the vehicle owner will have his or her vehicle registration privileges suspended. Additional actions may be taken if the vehicle owner still fails to respond.


  • There is no fee for filing a complaint.

Contact Information:

Insurance Compliance Division (ICD)

6601 Ritchie Highway NE
Glen Burnie, MD 21062

For telephone questions:
MVA Customer Service Center:    1-410-768-7000
TTY/Hearing Impaired:                   1-301-729-4563

​​[ infoMVA Home]​