Obtaining a Speech/Hearing Impairment Designation (Restriction Code)

You may request at any time to have a restriction code indicating you have a hearing and/or speech impairment, placed on (or removed from) your new, renewed or corrected license, permit, or identification (ID) card.  The placement (or removal) of the code is entirely voluntary. It simply alerts law enforcement and other authorities about your impairment(s).

Possible codes include:

  • H – Hearing impairment
  • S – Speech impairment
  • HS – Hearing and speech impairments

What must I do to have a hearing/speech impairment designation (restriction code H, S or HS) placed on my license, permit or ID card?

First obtain and complete the MVA Request for Hearing/Speech Impairment ID (form #DL-036). You can request the form by calling the MVA’s Customer Service Center at 1-410-768-7000 or 1-800-492-4575 TTY for the Hearing Impaired or by visiting a branch office.  Note that the request form must be signed by a representative of the Maryland Association for the Deaf or a licensed physician.

Once you have the form completed and signed, take it to any MVA office and request the correction of your license, permit or ID card. You can also request the placement of the code when you renew your license or obtain a new product. Note that only full service offices can process a request for a new product; both express and full service offices can process renewed and corrected products.


  • There is no fee for a corrected Driver Services product if the only change is the addition of a hearing/speech impairment restriction code.
  • If the addition of the code is requested as part of another transaction (e.g., renewal), a transaction fee will be charged. For information about the different licensing transaction fees, see Driver Licensing fees.

Contact Information:

MVA Driver Services
6601 Ritchie Highway, NE
Glen Burnie, MD 21062​