Withdrawal of Parental Consent for a Minor Child to Drive

​When an applicant for a Maryland driver’s license is under the age of 18 years, a parent, legal guardian, or responsible adult must sign the minor child’s license application form giving consent for the child to drive.  Until the child reaches age 18 years, the same person who gave consent is able to withdraw that consent at any time, effectively suspending the child’s driver’s license.

You should be aware, however, that when the license is suspended, a record of the suspension becomes part of your child’s driving record.  This may affect your cost for insuring the child once his or her driving privileges are restored.

How do I withdraw my consent for my minor child (under 18 years of age) to drive?

You may withdraw your consent by completing the Withdrawal of Consent: Maryland Driver License Learners Form or by submitting a written request to the MVA, along with your child’s driver’s license.  The request must include the following information:

  • Name of the minor child;
  • Child’s date of birth;
  • Child’s driver’s license number;
  • Child’s address;
  • Your printed name;
  • Your address;
  • Your signature; and
  • Your relationship to the minor child.

Remember that the person withdrawing consent must be the same person who originally signed the child’s driver’s license application.

Submit your written request, with the minor child’s driver’s license:

After receiving your request, the Administrative Adjudication Division will suspend your child’s driver’s license and send a letter to the child confirming the suspension.

What if I later change my mind and wish to give my consent again?

If your child is still under 18 years of age, you may ask to have the suspension lifted by submitting written request that provides the following information:

  • Name of the minor child;
  • Child’s address;
  • Child’s driver’s license number;
  • Child’s date of birth;
  • Your signature; and
  • Your address.

Submit your written request:

The MVA will not lift your child’s suspension until the child’s driver’s license is returned to the MVA. If the child does not have the license, he should complete and submit a Certified Statement explaining what happened to the license. Note that a record of the suspension will remain on the child’s driving record even after it is lifted. 

If I withdraw my consent, can someone else still give consent for my minor child to drive?

Yes, if the other person is also the child’s parent or legal guardian, that other person can sign the child’s driver’s license application giving his or her consent, even if you have withdrawn your consent.

What happens when my child turns 18 years old?

The Administrative Adjudication Division will lift your child’s suspension at age 18 years, regardless of whether or not you consent.   The child must then apply to the MVA for a duplicate driver’s license.


  • There is no fee for withdrawing parental consent, or for renewing parental consent after it has been withdrawn.
  • When the child’s suspension is lifted, there is a fee for obtaining a duplicate driver’s license.

Contact Information:

Administrative Adjudication Division
6601 Ritchie Highway, N.E.
Glen Burnie, MD 21062

For telephone questions:

MVA Customer Service Center:    1-410-768-7000
TTY/Hearing Impaired:                     ​1-301-729-4563