Child Support Sanctions

The MVA assists the Child Support Enforcement Administration (CSEA) within the Maryland Department of Human Resources in collecting child support payments by suspending the driving privileges of customers who have not complied with a child support order. The customer whose privileges have been suspended must first comply with the child support obligation, either fully or partially, before the suspension can be lifted.

​Under what conditions will the MVA suspend my driver's license if I do not keep up with child support payments?

The Child Support Enforcement Administration (CSEA) makes the decision whether or not to suspend your driver’s license. The CSEA can authorize the MVA to suspend your driving privileges after you have failed to comply with your child support agreement for 60 days or longer. The CSEA also decides when your suspension can be lifted. The MVA is obligated to follow the instructions of the CSEA.

What should I do if I receive a suspension notice from the MVA?

You should immediately contact your child support agency, not the MVA, and arrange to pay your child support. If you do not take any action by the suspension date printed on your notice, your driving privileges will be suspended.

What happens if I am not able to pay the full amount of the child support that I owe?

Even if you can’t pay the full amount, the CSEA may still permit you to retain some driving privileges. The CSEA will notify the MVA of any applicable limited driving privileges and when full privileges should be restored.

What should I do once I am suspended?

If your driver’s license is suspended, you must immediately return your most recently issued license to the MVA. You may return it by mail or in person either to any MVA branch office. If you deliver your license in person, you should receive a signed Receipt for License/Identification form. If you are no longer in possession of the driver’s license, you must submit a written explanation or visit any MVA full-service branch office and complete a Certified Statement form indicating why you no longer have the license.

If you want to have your suspension lifted, you must contact your child support agency, not the MVA, and arrange to pay your child support.

  • When you come into full compliance, the CSEA will notify the MVA to lift your suspension. This usually takes a few days, after which you may apply for a new, driver’s license.​

What if I have been mistakenly identified as owing child support? Can I appeal the suspension?

You may request a hearing before the Maryland State Office of Administrative Hearings (OAH), through the MVA’s Administrative Adjudication Division (AAD)​ but only if you have been mistakenly identified as owing child support. A hearing will not be granted simply because you disagree with the terms of the court order. Information about how to request a hearing is written on the back of your suspension notice.

If you wish to request a hearing, based on mistaken identity ONLY, be sure that you submit the request to the Administrative Adjudication Division (AAD) before the suspension date. Otherwise, your driving privileges will be suspended. If you request a hearing, you do not need to turn in your driver’s license, pending the outcome of the hearing.


  • There is no fee involved in the hearing process.
  • There is a fee if a hearing is requested.
  • There is a fee for obtaining either a corrected driver's license for work-restriction or an unrestricted license.

Contact Information:

Administrative Adjudication Division

6601 Ritchie Highway,NE
Glen Burnie, MD 21062

For telephone questions:
Child Support Enforcement Administration
Phone- 1-800-332-6347

MVA Customer Service Center:    1-410-768-7000
TTY/Hearing Impaired:                     1-301-729-4563