General Hearing Information

Hearings are held at the Office of Administrative Hearings (OAH). An administrative law judge will hear your case and notify the MVA of the hearing disposition. The MVA will then update your driving record and actions will be taken if applicable.

When is my hearing? I haven’t received any information?

All hearings are scheduled at the Office of Administrative Hearings (OAH) approximately 4 to 6 weeks from the request date. You will be notified by mail of the hearing location, date, and time. If you do not receive information on your hearing, contact the OAH.

For directions to the hearing, contact the OAH.

What should I do if I want to postpone my hearing date?

You must submit your request for postponement in writing to the Office of Administrative Hearings (OAH), at least 5 days before the scheduled hearing date. The written request must include an explanation of why you are requesting the postponement. If you have any questions contact the OAH.

What should I do if I missed my scheduled hearing?

The MVA will automatically impose the violation if you miss the scheduled hearing date. If you can provide just cause for why you missed the initial hearing date, you may submit a written request to reschedule your hearing. The written request must be submitted to the MVA Administrative Adjudication Division (AAD).

If the AAD grants your request to reschedule the hearing, you will be notified of the new hearing location, date, and time. If your request is denied, the AAD will notify you in writing.

What should I do if I want to appeal the Office of Administration’s (OAH) hearing decision?

An appeal must be filed within 30 days after the OAH hearing date. Maryland residents must file the appeal with the Circuit Court in their county of residence.

What happens after I attend the hearing?

The Office of Administrative Hearings (OAH) will notify the MVA of the hearing disposition in order to update your driving record. You will receive a copy of the decision from OAH.

If your license is suspended and it was not surrendered to the Administrative Law Judge, you must return your last issued driver’s license to any MD MVA branch office. In the event you are not in possession of your last issued driver’s license, you must submit to any MD MVA branch office a certified statement explaining what happened to the license.

Once the MVA is in possession of either your driver’s license or the certified statement, the suspension period will begin.

Note: If at the hearing you are given a restriction form to obtain a new product with a restriction, then you need to go to a Maryland MVA full service branch office.


  • There is a fee to request a hearing before the Office of Administrative Hearings (OAH).

Contact Information:

Administrative Adjudication Division

6601 Ritchie Highway, N.E.
Glen Burnie, MD 21062

For telephone questions:

Office of Administrative Hearings (OAH):    1-410-229-4100
Toll Free:                                                              1-800-388-8805

MVA Customer Service Center:     1-410-768-7000
TTY/Hearing Impaired:                     1-301-729-4563