Titling - ATVs, UTVs, Off-Road Motorcycles, and Snowmobiles

Titling and Decal Issuance

All-Terrain Vehicles (ATV), Off-Road Motorcycles, and Snowmobiles purchased October 1, 2010 or later are required to be titled. Side by side Utility Vehicles (UTV), purchased on or after October 1, 2017, are also required to be titled.  This includes all terrain vehicles (ATV), off highway motorcycles, and snowmobiles.  A nontransferable ORV decal will also be issued at the time of titling an ATV, UTV, off-highway motorcycle or snowmobile.  The decal issued by the Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) will not be recognized by the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) for use on authorized DNR trails.

If you purchased your ORV from a dealership, the dealer will have the title transaction processed and issue the ORV decal.  If the dealer is unable to process the transaction or the ORV was purchased through a private sale, you need to take your documents to a licensed Maryland title service to be electronically processed.

For special or unusual circumstances, the work can be processed at any full service MVA office.  If an owner of an ORV has purchased the vehicle prior to October 1, 2010 (UTVs, prior to October 1, 2017), they have the option to title the vehicle.

To title your newly purchased new or used Off-highway Recreational Vehicle, you will need to submit the following documents (along with payment for taxes and other required fees):

Proof of Ownership.  You will need to submit the original Certificate of Origin for your new ORV or the ORV's current title if the vehicle is used.  The ownership document must be properly assigned to you.  If you purchased your ORV from a private owner and the ORV was never titled, you need the seller's original Certificate of Origin and a bill of sale. An Affidavit of Ownership of a Moped, Motor Scooter or Off Road Vehicle form (VR-450) may be used in the event that no other type of ownership document can be obtained. 

Applications.  The Application for Certificate of Title form (VR-005) and the Application for Title Decal for Motor Scooters, Mopeds, ATVs, UTVs, Off-Road Motorcycles and Snowmobiles form (VR-337) must be completed.  The fee for a Maryland title is $35 and there is a $5 fee for the Title Decal.  The excise tax fee will be determined as stated below. Note:  When the affidavit of ownership is used, there will be no need to use a separate application for title or application for a decal.

Proof of Purchase Price.  Maryland dealers may certify the purchase price on the application for Maryland title.  If the vehicle was purchased from an out of state dealer, the original bill of sale, the carbon copy of the bill of sale or a notarized copy of the original bill of sale is required.  For a vehicle purchased from a private sale, you will need a bill of sale signed by all seller(s) and buyer(s) if the title document does not have a place for the seller to certify the sale price.  The bill of sale must state the sellers name, the buyers name and the year, make and vehicle identification number and the purchase price of the vehicle.  A notarized bill of sale signed by all sellers and buyers is required if any of the following conditions apply:

  1. The vehicle is less than 7 years old; and
  2. The purchase price is at least $500 below the book value: and
  3. The new owner (buyer) wants to base the excise tax calculation (6% of the vehicle's value) on the purchase price rather than the book value.
  • For vehicle's more than 7 years old, the taxes will be 6% of the purchase price or a minimum value of $320.00, whichever is greater.

Maryland Excise Titling Tax. An Off-highway Recreational Vehicle purchased from a licensed dealer, is assessed excise tax based on the agreed upon price of the vehicle, by the buyer and the seller including any dealer processing charge, with an allowance for trade-in. Manufacturer rebates are taxable, however dealer rebates and discounts are not. A vehicle purchased from a private owner is assessed 6%of the purchase price verified by a notarized MVA Bill of Sale (form VR-181), signed by both the buyer(s) and the seller(s) in which the actual price paid for the vehicle is stated. In other cases, 6% is charged on the greater of the total purchase price or the valuation shown in a national publication of used motorcycle/snowmobile/ATV/personal watercraft values adopted for use by the Administration will be used to establish the tax.

Note:  Excise tax will not be charged if Maryland sales and use tax was charged at the time the Off-highway Recreational Vehicle was purchased and proof of tax payment is submitted.  The MVA may require you to submit additional documentation to substantiate the purchase price.

Odometer Disclosure Statement.  The mileage must be recorded on the ownership document at the time of purchase if the ORV is equipped with an odometer.

Under certain circumstances, additional information and/or forms may be required:

Lien Information.  If you borrowed money to buy the ORV, the lien information may need to be recorded on the Maryland title application (form VR-005).  The MVA form titled Security Int​erest Filing (VR-217) must be used if a second lien is to be placed against the title.

Lien Release.  The existing title must show the lien was released (if applicable).  Most out of state titles have a place on them for the release of the lien, while a few states have a separate lien release document that is issued upon release of the lien.  In addition, you may have received a lien release letter on the company's letterhead, which may be submitted.

Power of Attorney (VR-470​)-– If someone other than you, the new owner, is signing the titling forms, this document is required.  A copy of the registered owner(s) state issued identification must accompany the Power of Attorney and the person submitting must present their state issued identification.​ ​

Situations may vary when purchasing an Off-highway Recreational Vehicle. If you do not meet the above criteria or require assistance, please contact the M​VA​​. You will receive a response back within 3 business days.

Contact Information:

Click here for a listing of tag and title services that may process these transactions for you.

For telephone questions:
MVA Customer Service Center:    1-410-768-7000
TTY/Hearing Impaired:                   1-800-492-4575
Out-of-State:                                   1-301-729-4550