For a plug- in electric or hybrid vehicle: The vehicle owner(s) must complete the Application for Plug- in Electric/Hybrid Electric Vehicle HOV Permit (form VR-335).
The permit will be valid from October 1, 2018 through September 30, 2022 and will be issued by:
- The dealership selling the vehicle;
- In person at the Vehicles Services Division, Counter 104 in the Glen Burnie, MVA. or
- Mail the application to MVA, 6601 Ritchie Highway, N.E., Room 104, Glen Burnie, MD 21062.
Note: Prior to expiration of these permits, a letter of explanation and a new permit will be mailed to current holders, extending the expiration until September 30, 2022.
The vehicle must meet all of the qualifications listed below in order to use the HOV lanes in Maryland:
- The vehicle must be made by a manufacturer and be manufactured primarily for use on public streets, roads and highways;
- The vehicle can be modified from the original manufacturer's specifications to a plug-in electric vehicle. Modified vehicles must be examined by the Maryland State Police prior to the issuance of a HOV permit;
- Is rated at not more than 8,500 pounds unloaded gross vehicle weight;
- Has a maximum speed capability of at least 65 miles per hour;
- Is propelled to a significant extent by an electric motor that draws electricity from a battery that has a capacity of not less than 4 kilowatt hours for 4-wheeled vehicles and not less than 2.5 kilowatt hours for 2 or 3-wheeled motor vehicles;
- The vehicle is capable of being recharged from an external source of electricity.
Note: If you are planning to purchase a plug-in electric vehicle from a Maryland dealer, the dealer can issue you an HOV permit at the time of purchase.
For hybrid vehicles: Effective October 1, 2016, the use of HOV permits will be extended to qualified Hybrid vehicles, with the use restricted to the portion of Route 50 designated as an HOV lane, between Interstate 95/Interstate 495 and US Route 301. A "qualified hybrid vehicle" must draw propulsion energy from gasoline or diesel fuel, and a rechargeable energy storage system.
The HOV Hybrid permits are effective October 1, 2018 through September 30, 2019, only 2000 HOV Hybrid Permits will be issued.
Any applications for HOV hybrid permits will need to be presented in person or mailed to 6601 Ritchie Highway, N.E., Room 104, Glen Burnie, MD 21062
The permit must be affixed on the rear of the vehicle in a visible position within 12 inches of the license plate, but not on the window.
Note: A new permit may be placed over an existing one.
Motor Vehicle Administration
Vehicle Services Unit, Room 104
6601 Ritchie Highway, N.E.
Glen Burnie, MD 21062
For telephone questions:
MVA Customer Service Center: 1-410-768-7000
TTY/Hearing Impaired: 1-301-729-4563