Charities Regulated by the Motor Vehicle Administration to Accept Donated Vehicles

The charity to which you may want to donate a vehicle must be licensed as a Maryland wholesale dealer. Wholesale dealers may not sell vehicles to a retail buyer. A list of charities that are licensed wholesale vehicle dealers follows. The title of the vehicle must be properly assigned to the charity. This is handled in the same manner as if you were actually selling the vehicle.

Be sure to fill in the name and the address of the charity under the "Assignment of Ownership" section to properly complete the transfer of ownership of the vehicle to the charity. Some charities may request that you leave the new owner information blank, but this leaves you at risk for future problems since the title would then be considered "open" by the MVA and unassigned. It may also affect your tax deduction for the donation.

Before you allow the charity to take your vehicle away, please remove the license plates from the vehicle and return them to the MVA. To avoid uninsured motorist fees, hold onto the receipt you will receive for the plates, and cancel your automobile insurance after you have returned the license plates. For further information and a dynamic searchable list, click here​.