Vehicle Registration Information for Military Personnel

Military Personnel Temporarily Stationed in Maryland

  • If you are not establishing residency because you are only temporarily stationed in Maryland and you are a member of the armed forces of the United States or of the United States Public Health Service and you are on active duty in this State or an adjoining state or the District of Columbia, you do not need to register your passenger vehicle in this State if your vehicle is currently registered in your state of residence.
  • If you are establishing residency in Maryland you must title and register your vehicle within one year of moving to Maryland. If you delay beyond one year, you will not be eligible for a tax credit for any titling tax paid in another state, and you may be subject to a citation for an out-of-state registration. For more information...

Military Personnel - Maryland Resident Temporarily Stationed Outside of Maryland

If you purchase a used vehicle while stationed outside of Maryland and want to title it, you may complete Section A and B of the Temporary Inspection Waiver (form VR-129) and submit it with your documentation to title the vehicle. The waiver allows you to title and temporarily register a used vehicle in Maryland without having the vehicle undergo a Maryland Safety Inspection. When you return to Maryland, the vehicle must be immediately inspected. The military personnel inspection waiver is valid for two years and may be renewed if necessary (if still stationed out-of-state).

Note: If requesting the recording of your out-of-state address, you must also submit a completed Address Certification - United States Government Employee (form VR-102).

You must title your vehicle at the same time as you apply for the inspection waiver. To be eligible you must be:

  • On active duty in the U.S. military; and,
  • Stationed outside of Maryland; and,
  • Your home of record is in Maryland; and,
  • You apply for the waiver when you apply for the vehicle's Maryland title.

You can submit the temporary inspection waiver, the other documents needed to title the vehicle, and the applicable fee in-person at any of the MVA's full-service branch offices. You may also mail your documents and fee to the MVA's Mail In Title Unit in the Glen Burnie office, or go to an MVA licensed tag and title service where they will assist you in applying. Licensed tag and title services will charge a fee for this service.

A registration card and metal license plates will be issued to you if you apply in person. Otherwise, these items will be mailed to you. The registration card must be carried in the vehicle. While the vehicle's registration period will be two years, you are expected to have the vehicle inspected as soon as possible.

To apply for a non-resident permit:

  • You must complete and sign the Application for Non-Resident Permit (form VR-111)
  • Provide a copy of your valid out-of-state driver's license
  • Provide a copy of the vehicle's current registration card
  • Provide a copy of your current military ID or a written statement from a commanding officer verifying your active duty.

Please note: A non-resident permit is valid for one (1) year or until the expiration of your current registration (whichever comes first). A non-resident permit may be renewed upon expiration providing you maintain valid registration in your home state of record. There is a fee for the non-resident permit.

Maryland Residents - Active Military

Maryland residents in the military may record their out-of-state/country address on file with the MVA by completing an Address Certification - United States Government Employee (form VR-102). This form must be completed in its entirety and returned to the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration, 6601 Ritchie Highway N.E., Glen Burnie, MD 21062.

For driver licensing information for military personnel...

For additional information regarding veteran services, please click here.