Combat-Related License Plates

How do I obtain combat-related license plates?

Combat-related license plates are issued in recognition of a customer’s military achievements. They can only be issued to a veteran or active member of the military who furnishes documentation proving receipt of the military award or honor recognized on the plates. Samples of combat-related license plates are ava​ilable for you to view.

You can apply for the plates in person at any of the MVA’s full service branch offices. You also can mail your application to the MVA’s Specialty Ta​g Un​it​ in the Glen Burnie office, or go to an MVA licensed tag and title service where they will assist you in applying.

Typically, the application documents needed include:

  • Application for Military Related License Plates (form #VR-120 – Be sure to include the vehicle’s information.
  • Proof of combat-related award:
    • Copy of military discharge papers (form #DD214); or
    • Copy of document verifying award (e.g., Purple Heart Certificate); or
    • Written proof from the National Personnel Records Center that the applicant received the award.

Vehicles in the following classes only are permitted to display combat-related license plates:

  • A (passenger car)
  • M (multi-purpose vehicle)
  • EPO (truck with a one ton or less manufacturer’s rate capacity)​